uShip and dogs go together like paw shakes and treats; like belly scratches and leg twitches; you don’t get one without the other. To commemorate International Take Your Dog to Work Day, we’re sitting down with some of uShip’s top dogs to hear their takes on how to be a good employee – and a great friend.
To start, we talked to one of uShip’s human employees, Bud Holfort, who heads up the company’s People Operations team. Bud says, although there are challenges with housing an office full of four-legged colleagues, the benefits far outweigh them.
“Dog-friendly culture means we understand and accept the positive impact that well-behaved dogs can have on our day-to-day attitudes.”
Bud says that dog-friendly culture is a big morale booster for employees, and that it acts as a strong recruitment and retention tool. Plus, it encourages employee interaction.
“Most people love and interact with the dogs, often going out of their way to stop and pet or ‘treat’ one of our dogs.”
It’s clear that the humans of uShip are big fans of their canine coworkers, but what do the pups have to say? Here are some of the best business lessons they’ve got for us:
- “Listen to your customers” -Lincoln, Member Support
- “Network, network, network.” -Chevy, Partnerships
- “Let the numbers do the talking” -Maddie, Database Administration
- “Pay attention to the little details.” -Max, Strategic Programs
- “Fuel up frequently” -Kerbey, Marketing
- “Make sure you’ve got a firm handshake” -Marley, Member Support
- “Own it” -Chloe, Development
- “Keep your eye on the prize.” -Keller, Localization
- “When in doubt, stretch it out.” -Bea, LTL Operations
- “Push the status quo” -Honey, Sales
- “Stay humble.” -Noodles, Customer Success
- “Always maintain eye contact.” Stone, Reception
- “Dress for the job you want.” Charlee, Accounting
- “Stay curious” Riley, Development
- “Work hard. Play hard.” -Ollie, Marketing
- “Smile!” -Bo, Design
From the mouths of pups – we never stop learning from the four-legged friends in our office. Though we do deal with occasional barks, howls, and messes, it’s all worth it when we remember how much our office is improved by the presence of our best friends.
Puppy breath helps too.